For quite a while now, there has been the topic of the "Anti-gay
bill" in Uganda. I have friends and people I know from all corners of
the world in Amsterdam and they always ask me "is it true they kill gay
people in Uganda?"....... It is a bill, not a law, and NO they do not
kill gay people in Uganda. But I can assure you, if you go to Jamaica or
Pakistan, they probably would kill you for being homosexual. Why is the
media so focused on Uganda? Is it really because of the bill?
I
have watched some foreign interviewers going to Uganda and interviewing
MP's and local authorities about the situation. And I keep thinking to
myself, is it really about human rights?
In August 2012, one
British producer David Edwards Cecil that was arrested for staging an
apparently controversial gay play “The river and the mountain” in
Kampala, Uganda.
In my opinion, if you want to act on human
rights, do not push buttons and move aside to see what will happen. Why
did he not go to the Middle East or a really gay unfriendly country and
make a statement there? I would have more respect for him, than coming
to Uganda where the worst could be arrest or people booing at him.
People
all over the world religiously listen to Dance hall and reggae even
though it continuously bashes homosexuals. Why not bash Jamaican artists
or boycott their concerts or iTunes that sells this music too?
I
have realised that Uganda has become some sort of punch bag for many
countries. We (meaning the leaders) have taken so much aid from Western
countries, we are in debt till our throats yet still take more aid. Aid
comes with so many strings attached. You can not expect someone to give
you money just like that. It comes with a lot of conditions...."if I
give you this amount, you have to do this in such and such period of
time."
Debt is bondage!!!
And now so much aid was
cut off because of the anti- gay bill. Maybe then Uganda will wake up!!
If you are self sufficient, nobody can tell you what to do with yourself
or resources.
Many Ugandans were complaining about how the West
is hypocritical for cutting off aid.... Well you refused to live up to
their expectations.You were asked to stop the anti gay bill...you
refused..hence forth no more money! Besides how can they keep injecting
money in dysfunctional economies. Something that also beats my
understanding... over decades of giving aid, people noticed it does not
work but still more funds are injected in these corrupt economies.
I
do not care for anybody's sexual preference, I actually do not want to
know what happens in people's privacy. I also do not reduce people to
just their sexual orientation, educational background, how much money is
in their bank account or many superficial aspects that we humans
sometimes take so much pride in. I look at people from their actions,
how they talk and react with me and other people. We all have different
roles on this earth and this comes on different levels.
We
all come from different backgrounds. I come from a polygamous
background where it is okay for a man to have as many women as he
pleases though he can only marry one (the irony). Almost every
influential man in my country has illegitimate children or a string of
affairs that can even be publicly known. It is very easy to have
siblings you do not know about in my culture. When I mention that to
some of my European friends here, they are amazed, sometimes shocked.
That is when I also say.." When I tell my friends back home that in
Europe, when your parents start getting old, they move out of your house
or theirs and you put them in an old people's home where they usually
spend the rest of their life......their jaws drop to the floor."
We
all come from different backgrounds. I come from Uganda where we are
not only governed by the Constitution but also Culture and Religion.
This makes the society some what conservative. Much as people are
opening up to many things, some things are rather still closed.
Especially when it comes to sex. For instance, a prostitute's chances of
ever getting a man to marry her are as slim as the chances of finding a
needle in a haystack.
Even though prostitution is the
oldest profession there is on this planet, it has failed to evolve into
an actual profession where I come from. Despite survival knowing no
dignity or shame, there are some things that are a cultural and social
NO! Because where I come from, I had never met anybody who went into
prostitution because it was a career option, but rather a means of
survival or out of lack of employment or job skills.
On
the other hand, in the Netherlands, prostitution is an actual
profession where taxes are paid. Many prostitutes are even wives and
mothers. Compared to Uganda where the whole community would only look at
you as a prostitute and nothing else. Whatever you would do, you were
still a prostitute. A woman that is selling her body.
Much
as poor countries have no influence on rich countries, they are always
expected to follow the richer nations in many aspects. Does that mean
that for instance Germany has nothing to learn from Mali? Or that Canada
can not learn from the Philippines? Isn't that an even bigger form of
labeling and discrimination?
They want me to learn from
them constantly, they want me to live as they live but they call my
lifestyle primitive just because as a woman I chose to cover my whole
body in clothing or if I decide to have concubines that could fill up a
football field.
It is give and take...... You teach me something,
learn from me as well. But also it is not by force, if I want you to
learn about me and you are not willing, that is your right! You can take
a donkey to the river, but you can not force it to drink!!
If
someone does not get the concept of same sex marriage, it is does not
necessarily mean that they are homophobic, maybe they just did not grow
up with it. And if they want to stay in that state, that is their
choice. If they do get to be open about it, well and good, if they do
not...it is also their right. Do not label people homophobic when you do
not know their history.
In my traveling, I have met so
many incredible people and if I was so focused on their skin colour or
sexuality or any other superficial aspect, I would be like a spider
caught up in its own web. People are much more than the labels they are
given. I want to work with all people from anywhere but when I hear
people saying they want diversity in their companies so they will hire
more blacks, gays and more women. I am like...... really? Hire people
because they are that good not all this propaganda nonsense.
It
is not entirely true that if you go to Rome, you do what the Romans do.
But you can learn to live side by side with the Romans. I have lived in
Holland for 6 years, I have failed to eat the slimy raw herring with
raw onions, a typical Dutch culture but I also managed to some how learn
the language.
I do not want this article to be
one of those posts I see on Facebook where people are fighting against
each other because with such topics, there are always the ones that
support and the ones that are against. Why is everything black and
white? There so many grey areas in life and in these grey areas, it
makes us human beings. We are not robots that are programmed to only
have one track opinions or go with the masses. We are all unique much as
we are all under the same sun.
No comments:
Post a Comment