Growing up in Uganda, I was raised in a Catholic setting though my mother was Protestant. My father being Catholic, that meant that I was raised the same way. I never really understood this because I grew up with my mother and one would think that I would be raised Protestant. Also the fact that I almost do not speak my mother's language but my father's. Anyway that is the beauty of being African... we do not ask why? We just do and then when you grow up, you can ask why and become as curious as you want especially when you are away from home.
During my early years prior to becoming a teenager, it was custom to get your "Confirmation" in the church. I do not know how to explain this but those who went through the same thing world wide know what I mean. I hated it but then I was told if I did not get confirmed then I would never be married in the church. And I remember one day asking my mother: "What if I got married in another country? How would they know if I was confirmed or not?"..... that was rather a rhetorical question that my mother answered back with dagger looks.
The confirmation classes took place every Saturday morning till the mid afternoon. These classes collided with my Saturday half day lessons at my primary school which was also in the neighbourhood. I hated both because it was a Saturday and I wanted to be up and about playing and getting up to no good. But I hated the confirmation classes more because we had our teacher Mr. Odoi who happened to share the same surname as my mother. For some reason he thought having the same surname with my mum made him have more rights to tell on me whenever he pleased.
After one year, I was able to finish the confirmation classes and I had to buy the whitest of dresses and the prettiest of rosaries for the occasion when I was allowed to eat "The body and blood of Christ". I was told it was real wine but it tasted like bad blackcurrant juice and there was no buzz kick at all. The "body" tasted like bread dough and it stuck to the palette of my mouth. I was quite disappointed that the ear pulling and the boring confirmation classes had this in payment. The classes were in my local language; Luganda, which was easy to speak but a headache to read or write. I later on wondered why I wasn't put in the English one. I should have pretended not to know Luganda.
Anyway as time went on, I started exploring other religions. Funny enough, my mother always told me that she did not mind if I changed religions as long as I did not turn to Islam. That was rather a weird way of giving someone freedom but I took it because for me this was paradise. I went to the Protestant church first for a few years and then moved to the Born Again church.
When I moved to the Netherlands, I changed to a Ghanian Methodist church which I somewhat liked even though at times they would hold part of the Mass in Twi, their local language.
Still something was missing and I was curious about Islam because Christianity almost taught the same thing. Catholics, Anglicans, Protestants, etc they all had the same theme.
So I started reading the English versions of the Qur'an on the internet. Someone even offered me a small Qur'an which I still have in my apartment though it is in Arabic.
Then I moved on to Buddhism, then read some of the Dalai Lama's teachings and so many spiritual divisions of the world. And i realised all the different spiritual approaches to life had a main goal and that was to help man save his soul. I enjoyed getting to discover all these different parts of man's quest for spiritualism. Because I believe that "he who travels not, thinks his mother cooks best".
And I am in a position where I question anything man made..... Be it religion or government. They are all made by man so they are not greater than man. Religion is man's interpretation of God.
I am a spiritual person, I will not say I am religious because I was raised Christian but there are many bad things that have been done and are still done in the name of Christianity.
I believe there is God, whether a man or woman, I do not know.
But I know there is a force out there stronger than me. I have found out that other spiritual groups are a lot more peaceful than Christianity. Christianity bashes other spiritual groups as Satanic but also within Christianity, sects bash each other. And if the aim is to save man's soul, it would not matter which sect is bigger than the other. But religion is a result of man's greed and worst of all it was a war tactic used in the days of slavery.
Christianity separated Africa so much and in other parts of the world. But when you look at it, they all read the Bible, they all worship the same God... So why the many sects? There are over 50 sects within Christianity. What is that all about? There are many versions of the Bible. What is that all about? Good News Bible, New International Version, King James Bible, New Revised Standard Version, etc. Is this really what it is all about? My version, his version, their version.
It took me a while to really question myself about this. I once spoke to a religious leader back home in 2009 and he said I was full of demons for asking these sort of things.
First of all, our original religion is voodoo, juju, black magic... call it whatever you want. This is what we had before colonialists came to Africa. But as I said, Christianity was also a war tactic. Remember Scramble and Partition of Africa? The colonialists told us that our religion was not good and that Christianity was the way to go.
"And then they told us to close our eyes and pray. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land"
When you look at present day Europeans, many of them are either not religious and if they are spiritual at all, they are into Buddhism, Kabala or another form of spiritualism.
Look at Italy and Spain that are supposed to be the centers of
Catholicism.... none of that happening there. Western
European countries are liberal. Liberal does not mix with the Biblical
teachings.
How can someone introduce you to a belief they themselves no longer believe in?
Why are we told we can not question what we were not born with?
There are many good aspects of Christianity, no doubt. The Bible teaches many ways in which to live in harmony with each other. Love your neighbour as you love yourself.. help one another...tell the truth, etc. But in all this, the world has been torn apart by Christianity. Take for instance, many people tell lies under oath in court. If you take a Muslim and make him swear on the Qur'an, there are very few that will lie. Maybe that is why they are called extremists because for a Muslim, his religion and everyday life is emerged together.
I was raised Christian and I have grown up seeing a lot of things, so it is only fair that I criticise what I know best. Many people might get defensive and start talking about all the bad things done by Muslims and I am not overruling anything. No human being on this earth is spotless, we all have our bad deeds. But when you are always pointing the finger, remember there are four other fingers pointing at you.
We all have a role to play on the this so- called planet, Earth but when you are not doing such a good job, people will realise it. And when they do, not all will say something but some will definitely stand up. When these few stand up, they try to make things right. The only problem is, in trying to make it right, they make those in authority look bad. Well if you do your job right, people will not criticise you as much.
I do not respond to authority very well because one human being can not be the controller of another human being. Much as society needs some sort of governance and order. We are all born of a woman. Bishop, president, peasant farmer, student, teacher.......... FROM DUST TO DUST!!
I understand and respect everything you said, but still i dont agree with somethings.Almost every believer and non believer has something to say about what kind of wars christianity has caused to us humans. As you said, religion is a creation/interpretation of what men think that God is. If we would consider the bible to be an instruction manual or a concept for some kind of art, and then some people try to carry out this concept but then it turns out it wasnt doen in a propper/right way and then a bunch of people die.....Is the concept/manual the reason why these people died?or maybe the way that it was carried out?just saying.....First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.
ReplyDeleteMJ I do get your point and it did ring a bell in my head. But my whole point is not selective to only the Bible. It is in general.. the whole idea of religion.The Bible was written with good intentions no doubt but it was also written by someone. It is someone's opinion about God. That is why you see there are all these other versions of the Bible, in some versions, they added or removed some material of the Bible. Why? Because they too feel, they can have an opinion. Is it right that they do this? I do not think so but then again, why should one person have the only say in something so universal? It is the word of God but described by another human being. They wrote in the Bible that the Jews are the chosen people of God..if I wrote my own version, maybe I would also put Ugandans are the chosen people of God. It is these kind of things that make me doubt the intention of it all. I believe in God and I do not need someone telling me how God is or that I will go to hell because I question the writings of the Bible. I do not question God, I question man's opinions and interpretations of God. I do not believe in religion at all....many man made things have a hidden agenda. I am glad I grew up in closed/ conservative society and then I discovered this on my own....I am responsible for my own destiny and I will chose how lead my life, I do not need a crooked Pastor or religious leader telling me what God wants from me. I have my own God, you too have your own. And if I pick some good lessons from Islam, Buddhism and other spiritual groups, so be it. We learn from each other, no man is an island. And no man is greater than the other!!
ReplyDeleteI commend you for speaking out loud about this. This is something many of us feel and think but have no guts to say it out loud. For me personally, keeping a safe distance from religion helps. My family are staunch christian, actually some are extremists. Me questioning their belief always creates tension and distance. Now, while i don't share the same belief, I understand and respect that that’s what they believe in. That’s what connects them with the God they believe in and I have no reason whatsoever to judge them.
ReplyDeleteNow am sure some people will disagree with Sandra and perhaps some might be offended, but in essence she's advocating for people to be more objective. Religion is not easy, get to know people better, put their faith and religion aside and get to know them as human beings first, I think that will really help!
Religion is something that tries to be sacred and that we should not question it but I have grown up and had the opportunity to judge it as someone who has grown up in a fairly strict Christian background..
ReplyDeleteI do not question God because for me that is a little bit hard to grasp because we all have our own God and that makes it hard to put a finger on.
But when it comes to religion, it is very expalainable because first of all it is so divided yet the core of it is the same. That shows greed, from greed other things sprout out. And then so much chaos comes out of it and then for me it is not interesting anymore. It becomes propaganda. That is why I take knowledge from different spiritual groups because they all have different good aspects yet religion bashes them for being Satanic or whatever. If you look at Buddhism, it all about inner peace because once your inside is not at peace, your whole body is in trouble. Religion on the other hand many times instigates fear in people like with the concept of hell and heaven, no doubt if you do bad, you should get punished. But if I steal food from the market to feed my family..if a bank robber robs 4 million, apparently a sin is a sin and that we both go to hell. Where is the sense in that? We all know that does not add up. Anyways I do not want people to have doubt in their faith but rather look deep inside themselves and if something doesn't seem right then maybe something is amiss!! Peace and love. Stay blessed.xxx